TUESDAY Revised 20 OCTOBER, 2020 Academic calendar for 2020-21 can be viewed at: epaper.morningstandard.in facebook.com/TheMorningStandard Deadline for engg college admissions pushed t0 Nov 30 twitter.com/TheMornStandard POLL CARD Classes for freshers in engineering colleges and technical institutions will begin from Dec 1, the AICTE said NADDA BLOWS CAA BUGLE CONTINUING COVID SITUATION BLAMED In poll-bound Bengal, the BJP chief says the Act will be implemented soon A CAPITAL VIEW OF NEWS PAGE 7 NEW DELHI J8.00 China put on notice as four-nation initiative gets serious, full naval wargames this year M AYA N K S I N G H @ New Delhi IN a major strategic shift, Australia on Monday shunned its reservations against being seen as part of the Quad grouping and decided to send the Royal Australian Navy warships to participate in the Malabar series of naval exercises. Confirming the development, the Ministry of Defence said, “As India seeks to increase cooperation with other countries in the maritime security domain and in the light of increased defence cooperation with Australia, Malabar 2020 will see the participation of the Australian Navy .” Australia had participated in the 2007 exercise but had withdrawn since then after China raised concerns against this construct. The upcoming exercise will be significant as all the Quad members countries — the US, Japan, Australia and India — will be participating after 12 years. It was first mooted in 2007 and China was always opposed to this grouping. All exercises usually have a ‘harbor phase’ involving personnel interaction. However, this year’s will be ‘non-contact - at sea’ with the personnel on their own ships having no interaction with those of other participating nations. The Union defence ministry said the exercise will strengthen the coordination between the Navies of all the participating countries. The Malabar exercises started in 1992 as a bilateral one between Navies of India and the US. Japan joined in 2015. The annual exercise was conducted off the coast of Guam in the Philippine Sea in 2018, off the coast of Japan in 2019 and will be held in the Bay of Bengal TESTING STATUS 10,765 RTPCR/CBNAAT/ TrueNat tests conducted 40,26,883 Total tests done so far 2,11,941 Tests per million DELHI COVID WATCH and the Arabian Sea this year. Experts welcomed the development. Commodore Anil Jai Singh, a noted defence analyst, said Australia’s participation in the exercise will send an important message to China. “China has opened so many fronts simultaneously and India has been always considerate towards Chinese sensitivities but China never cared,” he added. Chinese soldier ‘strays’ into India, apprehended Indian Army apprehended a Chinese soldier who had “strayed” across the LAC in the Demchok sector of Eastern Ladakh on Monday. The soldier will be returned to the Chinese side after completion of formalities | P7 Bhojpur 39 Rohtas 37 KUMAR VIKRAM, RAJESH KUMAR THAKUR & KANU SARDA @ New Delhi/Patna SIDDHARTH Saurav is the Congress candidate from the Bikram seat in the ongoing Bihar elections. He has at least one criminal case against him and his election affidavit says among the charges he faces are of murder filed under Section 302 of the IPC. Raj Kumar Sah, the Lok Janshakti Party’s candidate from the Lalganj seat, has an attempt to murder case against him filed under Section 307 of the IPC. Both the Congress and the LJP should have, as directed by the Election Commission, published their criminal antecedents in newspapers, social media platforms and their party’s websites. But neither party has done so, at least until late on Monday night. The Congress and the LJP are not the only parties that have not complied with the EC’s directive to publicise details of the candidates with a criminal history . Former Union minister Upendra Kushwaha’s party, the Rashtriya Lok Samata Party, is among the prominent parties that is yet to comply with the order. Chief Minister Nitish Kumar’s Janata Dal (United) uploaded details of the criminal cases of its candidates late on Sunday night, which was past the deadline for complying with the EC’s order. 1 Particulars regarding criminal cases to be in bold letters 2 319 Matter in newspapers should be published in at least 12 pt font size 3 Details to be given for each case in separate rows In a significant verdict on February 13, 2020, the Supreme Court had ruled that all political parties must publish the entire criminal history of candidates along with the reasons for fielding them. “It shall be mandatory for political parties to upload on their website detailed information regarding individuals with pending criminal cases, including the nature of the offences and relevant particulars,” the court ruled. Following the apex court verdict, the EC, in an order passed on September 16, 2020, said that “details regarding criminal cases are to be published on three occasions during the campaign period.” The first round of publicity has to be done “within first 4 days of withdrawal” of nomination papers. The second and third times the parties have to publish details of criminal candidates are “between (the) next 5th8th days and once between (the) 9th day till the last day of campaign,” the EC said. For the first phase of polling on October 28, the first round of publicity should have been done by all political parties by October 16 as the last date of withdrawal of candidates was October 12. But except for the Rashtriya Janata Dal and the BJP most , other prominent parties have not uploaded the details of their criminal candidates. CONTINUED ON: P7 FOUR days after six mainstream Opposition parties launched a Peoples Alliance to unitedly fight for the restoration of special powers under Article 370 to J&K, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Monday grilled National Conference president and former chief minister Farooq Abdullah for over seven hours in connection with the 2015 J&K Cricket Association scam. While most parties described the ED action as political vendetta, Abdullah asserted he was clean and that the fight for Article 370’s restoration will continue with or without him. In 2015, the CBI had registered a first information report into the alleged `113 crore scam when he was heading the state cricket association. Abdullah’s son Omar tweeted, “This is nothing less than political vendetta coming days after the formation of People’s Alliance for Gupkar Declaration”. PDP chief Mehbooba Mufti said, “ED’s sudden summon to Farooq displays the extent of Government of India’s nervousness about mainstream parties in J&K fighting as one unit. Also reeks of political vendetta...” EXPRESS READ Karnataka HC issues stay order on installing tallest Christ statue Bengaluru: The Karnataka High Court on Monday stayed the construction works to install the world’s tallest statue of Jesus Christ at Kapalabetta, about 80 km from Bengaluru. The court was acting on a PIL, which stated that the land for the statue was allotted illegally in 2017 by the then Congress government. The petitioners alleged that it was an attempt by Congress leader D K Shivakumar and his brother D K Suresh to grab government land and fulfill their selfish ends by acting as the self-styled guardians of the Christian community. The high court has restrained the Harobele Kapalabetta Abhivruddhi Trust from carrying out any further work HC quashes Kerala govt’s plea against airport lease to pvt player Kochi: In a setback to Kerala’s Left Democratic Front government, the state’s High Court on Monday dismissed its petition challenging the Centre’s decision to lease out the Thiruvananthapuram International Airport to Adani Enterprises for 50 years. A division bench of the court observed that the petitions by the Kerala government and others challenged the privatisation of the airport, which is a declared policy of the Union government. “Interference to a policy framed by the elected government is trite, is difficult, and the feeble challenge raised herein against the policy is devoid of merit,” the high court observed PANDEMIC FALLOUT CR PARK PANDALS DECIDE TO LIMIT CROWD RUSH 14,164 S O M R I TA G H O S H @ New Delhi HOME ISOLATION BACK ON TRACK A metro train runs on Ghatkopar-Versova corridor, which re-opened after nearly seven months due to coronavirus pandemic, in Mumbai on Monday | PTI END OF ROW Vijay Sethupathi walks out of Muralitharan biopic E X P R E S S N E W S S E R V I C E @ Chennai I have already tweeted: Nandri, vanakam.When I said that, it means everything is over. Everyone understood my message Vijay Sethupathi, actor The actor had faced a severe backlash in the social media for essaying the role of the Sri Lankan spinner. Social media users have been urging Sethupathi to give up the project by showing clips of Muralitharan’s bytes, in which he has hailed the Lankan leadership and chided Tamil Nadu politicians for interfering in the affairs of the Lankan Tamils. Tamil film directors Gaya 49 Classes may subsequently begin on December 1 through online, offline or blended mode, AICTE secretary Rajive Kumar said F AYA Z W A N I @ Srinagar BIHAR PARTIES FLOUT SC FIAT *904 beds of CCC are occupied by persons under quarantine including travellers who came by Vande Bharat Mission and Bubble flights TAMIL actor Vijay Sethupathi has opted out of the biopic on Sri Lankan cricketer Muthiah Muralitharan, putting an end to the week-long controversy on social media. The actor took to Twitter on Monday to share a statement of Muralitharan in which he had sympathised with the actor for being targeted and requested him to leave the biopic, titled ‘800’. “I am making this request as I don’t want one of the greatest Tamil actors to be affected because of me. In addition, I also don’t want him to face any problem in the future because of this film,” Muralitharan wrote. In reply, Sethupathi tweeted, “Nandri, vanakkam (Thank you and welcome).” With criminal charges EC GUIDELINES Supporters wave as Chief Minister Nitish Kumar arrives for a campaign rally in a helicopter, ahead of Bihar Assembly polls, at Atri in Gaya district on Monday | PTI Total candidates in Phase I 1,066 Buxar 23 STATUS OF CASES Today Cumulative RECOVERED 2,845 3,04,561 DEATH 31 6,040 ACTIVE CASES -22,570 TOTAL +VE CASES 2,154 3,33,171 Source: Delhi health bulletin | October 19 BIHAR ONLINE, OFFLINE OR BLENDED MODE Farooq faces ED’s heat in cricket scam DIST’S HAVING CANDIDATES WITH CRIMINAL CHARGES Australia’s decision to participate comes in the wake of Beijing’s erecting trade barriers in retaliation to Canberra’s demand for an inquiry into the origins of Covid-19. Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha (Retd), said, “Australia is significant given the time of geopolitical turmoil, it completes some kind of security architecture which might be available which can be put to use by quad for ensuring freedom of navigation and following the international order on maritime issues”. PATIENT MANAGEMENT Total beds Occupied Vacant HOSPITAL 15,704 5,064 10,640 CARE CENTRE 8,137 891 6342* HEALTH CENTRE 527 297 230 PAGES 12 Oz on board, first Quad power play in Malabar drill The AICTE said, because of the continuing Covid situation, requests from various state governments, and the fact that premier institutions like IITs and NITs are in the middle of the admission process, it has extended the admission deadline for first-year engineering courses to November 30 | P7 www.aicte-india.org Bharathiraja, Cheran and Ameer and lyricist Thamarai had condemned Sethupathi for signing the film. Also, fans on Twitter started trending #ShameOnVijaySethupathi the day the movie’s 800 poster was launched. Also, the Lankan outfits are opposing Sethupathi’s casting as the lead in the film. After calling on Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Pal- aniswami at his residence to condole the death of his mother, Sethupathi spoke to reporters. “I have already tweeted: Nandri, vanakam (in response). When I said that, it means everything is over. Everyone understood my message.” The film title, 800, is a reference to the number of Test wickets that Muralitharan has taken in his career from 1992 to 2010. His world record of the highest number of wickets is yet to be surpassed. For now, it is unclear who will be replacing Sethupathi in the film. MS Sripathy has been announced as the director, while Sam CS has been roped in as composer, and RD Rajasekhar, cinematographer. The biopic will be produced by Dar Motion Pictures and Movie Train. IN view of the Covid-19 pandemic situation, Durga Puja committees in the Chittaranjan Park have decided that the festival will be celebrated on a smaller scale with a limited number of people. The puja committees have decided not to allow visitors inside pandals. Only organizers will be performing the five-day rituals. “It has been decided that gates won’t be opened for the general public,” said Asitava Bhowmick, who is associated with the CR Park Kali Bari. Bhowmick said only small idols have been placed this year, unlike previous years, and that rituals will be attended by only members and guests. Samir Banerjee, general secretary, GK II Durgoutsav committee, said prayers would be held with a small idol of Durga at Sanatan Dharma Mandir and the pandal has been decorated on the concept of Santiniketan. “It is a very small-scale celebration. Apart from members we have given invitations to around 60 people. We want less people to attend PTI the venue to avoid the complexity of Covid-19. Some of the pandals are going with ‘ghat puja’ but no one is going to allow outside rush.” On Monday around 12 Du, rga Puja committees of Chittaranjan Park, GK2, GK1, Alaknanda, Kalkaji met at Kali Mandir, CR Park which was convened by GK MLA Saurabh Bharadwaj and attended by SDM, police officers and other civic agencies. “Most of the people of CR Park and members of Puja committees are senior citizens. It is important that they remain indoors and avoid contact with visitors in Pandals,” Bharadwaj said. “The police will put up barricades so that the public is not attracted towards these pujas. We request people not to rush CR Park this year.” The police will put up barricades so that the public is not drawn towards these pujas. We request people not to rush CR Park this year — Saurabh Bharadwaj, GK MLA Metro linking Dehradun with Haridwar by 2024 likely V I N E E T U PA D H YAY @ Dehradun THE upcoming metro rail project in Uttarakhand, expected to be completed by 2024, will connect Dehradun-RishikeshHaridwar in its inception. The 33-km route will be the inaugural line. Jitendra Tyagi, the Uttarakhand Metro Rail Corporation MD, said: “The detailed project report has been submitted to the state government, which is likely to get the nod soon.” Locals welcomed the decision stating that this would improve connectivity and increase the footfall in Rishikesh. According to Rishikesh Rafting Association president Dinesh Bhatt, over 12,000 tourists visited the town since September 26 following the reopening of river rafting. “The metro will definitely contribute to the footfall in Rishikesh as this will definitely cut the cost of travelling from Dehradun to Rishikesh.” Haridwar is the second largest industrial centre of the state after Udham Singh Nagar. Many people working in Haridwar commute either by buses or other public transport. “There are thousands like me who travel between Haridwar and Dehradun either daily or 2-3 times a week. This will be a boon for them,” said Dehradun resident Abhishek Kumar.
Express Network Private Limited publishes thirty three E-paper editions of The New Indian Express newspaper , thirty two E-paper editions of Dinamani, one E-paper edition of The Morning Standard, one E-paper edition of Malayalam Vaarika magazine and one E-paper edition of the Indulge - The Morning Standard, Kolkatta.