SATURDAY US TO BAN WECHAT, TIKTOK CITING NATIONAL SECURITY 19 SEPTEMBER, 2020 The White House will ban the use of WeChat as well as the downloads of popular video-sharing app TikTok on Sunday morningstandard.in facebook.com/TheMorningStandard twitter.com/TheMornStandard instagram.com/themorningstandard SUDRASHAN CASE SC’S MESSAGE TO MEDIA 19 million No community should become a target, says SC A CAPITAL VIEW OF NEWS PAGE 7 l NEW DELHI l J8.00 l PAGES 12 ACTIVE USERS FOR WECHAT IN THE UNITED STATES TIKTOK GETS TIME TILL NOVEMBER 12 From Sunday, both apps will be removed from app stores in the US. While the Tencent-owned WeChat faces an outright ban starting Sunday, TikTok owner ByteDance has been given time till November 12 to strike a deal with a US company. The deal must grant the US firm a full control over the app’s source code to prevent snooping by China, the White House insists Army indicts its Don’t get misled by oppn’s lies: PM to farmers own in Shopian encounter case EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE @ New Delhi/Patna Finds prima facie proof of exceeding powers under AFSPA in ops that killed three persons F AYA Z W A N I @ Srinagar THE Army on Friday admitted there was prima facie evidence of overreach under the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) by its troops in an alleged fake encounter in south Kashmir’s Shopian district two months ago that left three persons dead. Those involved in the July 18 operations will face disciplinary action under the Army Act. While the slain persons were labeled as unidentified militants at that time, their families had challenged the spin, saying they were actually innocent labourers hailing from Rajouri. Defence spokesman in Srinagar Colonel Rajesh Kalia said a high-level Court of Inquiry that probed the incident also found that the troops had violated the guidelines issued by the Army chief and the Supreme Court on handling encounters. On July 18, the Army and the police claimed to have killed three unidentified militants in a joint operation at Amshipora. The police had said the operation was launched on specific intelligence input shared by the Army’s 62 Rashtriya Rifles, adding arms and ammunition and other incriminating materials were recovered from the site of encounter. The bodies were buried at a graveyard in Baramulla district. However, in first week of August, three families from the border district of Rajouri said LOK SABHA Ruckus over ‘Nehru-Gandhi family’ quip E X P R E SS N E WS S E R V I C E @ New Delhi THE Lok Sabha saw uproarious scenes and was adjourned multiple times on Friday as Congress, Trinamool and BJP members sparred over Union minister Anurag Thakur’s comments on the Nehru-Gandhi family and the state of affairs in West Bengal. Thakur made the remark while defending the PM-CARES fund, which the Opposition said is not transparet. All this happened after Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman introduced The Taxa t i o n a n d O t h e r L aw s (Relaxation and Amendment of Certain Provisions) Bill. Opposition MPs questioned the need for a new PM-CARES fund. Thakur targeted PMNRF claiming that “the fund was only for the Gandhi family .” Congress’ Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury objected naming the Gandhis and said that PMCARES has taken donations from Chinese firms. Thereafter, Thakur accused the Gandhis of mismanagement of funds, leading to heated exchanges. An irked Chowdhury lashed out at Thakur calling him a “boy” from Himachal, demanding apology for maligning Nehru-Gandhi family. “How did Nehru come into this debate? Did we take Narendra Modi’s name?” The Union minister later apologised for his comments. their wards — Imtiyaz Ahmed, Abrar Ahmed and Mohammad Ibrar — who were working as labourers in Shopian and living in rented accommodation there, had been missing since July 17. They identified the photos of the slain trio on social media as their wards. The families then registered a missing report on August 9. Subsequently, their DNA samples were taken to match them with those of the slain trio. While the DNA report is ‘Disciplinary action must be transparent’ “The families of the three murdered men had continued to proclaim their innocence. Disciplinary action initiated by the army would suggest the army agrees with the families. The process must remain transparent,” NC president Omar Abdullah said awaited, evidence collected by the Court of Inquiry prima facie indicated that the slain persons were indeed Imtiyaz Ahmed, Ibrar Ahmed and Mohammad Ibrar, the defence spokesman said. “Their involvement with militancy or related activities is under police investigation,” he added. Sources said a Summary of Evidence will now be initiated against the erring Armymen after which court martial proceedings would start. PM Narendra Modi made the appeal during an event for Bihar | PTI I want to give a clear message — do not be misled. Those claiming to protect the farmers’ interests actually want to keep them bonded with many restrictions. They are siding with the middlemen, with those who exploit the farmers — Narendra Modi, Prime Minister STRONGLY defending the agriculture Bills passed by the Lok Sabha, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday urged farmers not to get misled by the misinformation being spread by the opposition. Modi described the Bill as a “protection shield” for the farmers and accused the opposition of peddling lies to deceive them. Inaugurating a slew of rail projects in poll-bound Bihar, the PM sought to reassure the farmers that the new legislations are meant to protect their interests. “I want to give a clear message — do not be misled. Those claiming to protect the farmers’ interests actually want to keep them bonded Paytm back after Google axes it from Play Store over ‘gambling’ B I S M A H M A L I K @ Bengaluru INDIAN digital payments app Paytm, which was removed from Play Store on Friday morning over violation of Google’s sports betting policy, was restored hours later, after Paytm removed a ‘cashback’ feature from a recentlylaunched game on the app. Paytm said Google approached it over the cashback feature on the ‘Paytm Cricket League’ game on the app. The game allows users to get player stickers after each transaction, collect them and receive a cashback, which Google found was in violation of its policies on gambling. “While it is clear that all activities on Paytm are completely lawful, we have tempo- rarily removed the cashback component in an effort to meet the Play Store policy requirements,” Paytm wrote in a blog post, published on Friday . Paytm CEO Vijay Shekhar Sharma lashed out at Google, accusing the tech giant of singling out Paytm for action, when several other apps offering cashback prizes continue to be hosted on Play Store. For its part, Google said it does not allow apps facilitating sports betting and will remove them from its Play Store. “We don’t allow online casinos or support any unregulated gambling apps that facilitate sports betting. This includes if an app leads consumers to an external website that allows them to participate in paid tournaments to win real money or cash prizes,” Google said. H oweve r, Pay t m F i r s t Games, its sports fantasy platform, which has more than 80 million active users, remains suspended. It had recently roped in Sachin Tendulkar as its brand ambassador ahead of the IPL. ‘Does giving cashback amounts to gambling?’ Paytm’s CEO Vijay Shekhar Sharma on Friday thanked users for their support and wondered how cashback amounts to gambling. “You decide if giving cashback is gambling,” he tweeted with many restrictions. They are siding with the middlemen, with those who exploit the farmers,” he said. The Lok Sabha on Thursday passed the Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill, and the Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Bill, amid protests by the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD and the opposition parties. To assuage the concerns of the farmers, the PM said, “This misinformation is being spread that the government will not give MSP benefits to farmers. Manufactured claims are being made the government will no longer purchase wheat, rice and other grains. This is a blatant lie aimed at deceiving the farmers.” The new legislative proposals will unshackle the farmers, he assured. “After they are implemented, farmers will be able to sell their produce anywhere in the country at the desired prices. The legislations are meant to act as a protection shield to safeguard them against the middlemen.” “Our government is committed to provide the right price to our farmers through MSP We . were (committed) before, we are today and we will continue to remain in future.” In a veiled reference to the Congress, Modi said those opposing the changes in the APMC Act now had made similar promises in their manifesto. When the BJP-led NDA government has done it, then these people are opposing it, P7 he said. Time for IPL spectacle The beautiful greens of Abu Dhabi cricket stadium is ready to welcome their favourite stars, so are the millions back home. The most watched sporting spectacle of India will begin today with CSK taking on Mumbai Indians THE NEW NORMAL THE RIVALRY Players and support staff may sit in the stands to maintain distancing Electronic team sheets instead of physical ones. No handshakes during toss After-match formalities will be without touch to maintain distance Don’t be surprised if you see players fetch balls hit for a six. Recovered ball will be sanitised Saliva can’t be used to shine the ball; players will have own water bottles Umpires won’t collect players’ caps, towels and goggles The two of the most successful IPL franchises in the IPL history — Mumbai have won the title four times and Chennai thrice — have fought close encounters numerous times in the past 12 editions. Both the teams boast of star-studded line-ups and start as favourites this edition as well | P11 FAN WALLS ACROSS VENUES Fans can virtually be present as the BCCI has set up four fan walls. Ninety-six fans will get to watch it virtually with their volumes turned down. Virtual tickets are available on bookmyshow.com L I V E O N S TA R S P O R T S 1 / H O T S TA R 7. 3 0 P M 60% ICU beds with ventilators occupied in city Plan to let hospitals offer standalone PG courses S O M R I TA G H OS H @ New Delhi S U M I S U K A N YA D U T TA @ New Delhi GWALIOR resident Ashok Jain, 49, tested Covid-positive on September 14 and was admitted to a government hospital there. As his condition deteriorated, his family brought him to the national capital in an ambulance on Thursday . Throughout the day, the family desperately rushed from one hospital to another, but he finally succumbed inside the ambulance. Jain’s family alleged that each of the private hospitals they went to refused to admit him. “We tried in almost all the top hospitals. We went to Apollo, Ganga Ram, Fortis, Max.... we tried 17-18 hospitals but all of them refused to admit him. Some said no beds are available while some others said beds are only for Delhi patients,” claimed Alok Jain, a family member of the deceased. “We tried to contact D E L H I Today Cumulative 3,568 2,01,671 30 4,907 -- 32,250 4,127 2,38,828 (COVID-19) PATIENT MANAGEMENT Hospital Care centre Health centre Total beds Occupied Vacant 14,974 8,137 601 hospitals based on the Delhi government’s corona app. But the app does not show the reality. We took the patient in a serious condition to some hospitals as the app showed beds available, but were turned down as there were no beds.” In the last 15 days, the bed C O V I D STATUS OF CASES Recovered Death Active cases Positive cases Bed occupancy in city hospitals have gone up in last fortnight | FILE 6,956 8,018 2,014 3,788* 452 149 HOME ISOLATION : 18,701 *2335 beds of CCC are occupied by persons under quarantine including travellers who came by Vande Bharat Mission and bubble flights W A T C H TESTING STATUS 11,203 49,834 RTPCR/CBNAAT/ True Nat tests conducted today Rapid antigen test conducted in city 24,30,629 1,27,927 Total tests done so far occupancy in Delhi’s based hospitals have gone up, especially ICU beds. As per the Delhi government’s corona app, 60 per cent of the ICU beds with ventilators are occupied. Out of 1,247 total beds with ventilators, 756 were occupied and only 491 remained IN DEPSANG EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE @ New Delhi Indian soldiers are not able to reach into an area of approximately 80-100 sq km as PLA continues to remain at Y-Junction, say Army sources | P8 IN a major relief to parents and students, the Delhi Government on Friday announced all schools in the national capital would remain closed till October 5. Online classes and teaching learning activities, however, will continue as usual. There was earlier unease among the parents, especially whose children are enrolled in the un-aided schools as these schools issued a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) and n Calls received in control room: 160 1,751 n Total number of calls dispatched to ambulances: 1,456 SOURCE: DELHI HEALTH BULLETIN | DATA FOR SEPT 18 IN what could open the door to a major shift in the way specialist doctors are trained in India, the country’s top medical education regulator is considering allowing private hospitals to offer standalone postgraduate degrees without having the prerequisite of an MBBS programme. At present, only medical colleges that have been offering the MBBS programme for at least three years are allowed to offer PG (MD and MS) courses, once they fulfill the specified criteria. The Medical Council of India’s Board of Governors has recently constituted a fivemember committee, under the AIIMS-Delhi director to examine the proposal and finalise its modalities. “The move is aimed at fulfilling the wide gap between demand and supply of specialist doctors within a few years,” said a senior member of the MCI Board of Governors. Certain private hospitals are allowed to offer two-year DNB degrees under the National Board of Examination, now considered equivalent to PG, but the training offered is often viewed as inferior, said sources in MCI. Officials said the proposal was being taken forward to ensure shortage of specialists in even states with limited numbers of medical colleges is addressed “Medical colleges are concentrated largely in southern states and Maharashtra, but states with the highest population have the worst doctor-population ratios.” said an MCI official. “This issue won’t be resolved unless we come up with major reforms.” CONTINUED ON P8 schools in Delhi will remain closed LAC TO All Oct 5, relief for parents and kids ARMY UNABLE till PATROL 5 POSTS Tests per million Containment zones as on date available till Friday evening. Among ICU beds without ventilators, 489 remained available out of a total 1,539 while 1,050 were occupied. Government hospitals such as Lok Nayak Jai Prakash, Rajiv Gandhi Super Specialty, Guru Teg Bahadur, Sardar Vallab Bhai Patel, Lady Hardinge Medical College, Baba Saheb Ambedkar and Holy Family hospitals as well as AIIMS-Jhajjar were showing to have fewer beds with ventilators available. AIIMS, Safdarjung, RML, Army Hospital, Hindu Rao, Max Saket and Sir Ganga Ram hospitals were among the facilities running short of ventilator beds. Major hospitals such as Deep Chand Bandhu, Northern Railway VIMHANS, , Batra, Max Shalimar Bagh, Indraprastha Apollo, Saroj Super Specialty Max Patparganj , and Max Saket hospitals are already out of ventilators. started preparation to reopen schools on September 21 patially for class 9-12. “The online classes and teaching learning activities will continue as usual and Heads of Schools (HoS) are authorized to call teachers/ staff as per requirement for smooth conduct of online classes, teaching learning activities and any other work,” read the circular issued by government. Earlier, the government had said it would allow senior students to come to schools if they need any guidance from their teachers. But now, it has made clear that there will be no partial reopening of the s ch o o l s, i r re s p e ct ive o f the class. While several restrictions have been eased since June 8, educational institutions continue to be closed. The government has announced four phases of the ‘Unlock’ so far and in the guidelines for the latest phase, the home ministry has said schools will continue to remain closed till September 30.
Express Network Private Limited publishes thirty three E-paper editions of The New Indian Express newspaper , thirty two E-paper editions of Dinamani, one E-paper edition of The Morning Standard, one E-paper edition of Malayalam Vaarika magazine and one E-paper edition of the Indulge - The Morning Standard, Kolkatta.